International shipping availability and rates vary by seller. Exclusions Apply. Depending on the seller, most products ship free in the United States on orders of $50 or more. My mens medium barely registered on my scale at 3.6 ounces (0.1 oz. This puts the Houdini squarely in ultralight territory, and it truly feels like nothing in hand or when I wear it (the semi-translucent appearance also backs this up). The standard coating has been linked to many environmental and health concerns, but Patagonias stance is that it outperforms the new technology, and theyre in the process of finding an alternative. Monmouth Flurry Fleece Pullover - 1/4 Zip. Its a bit heavier and bulkier than the Houdini at 4.9 ounces, but its a better active piece for anything from hiking to climbing (and its hood can fit over most climbing helmets). Weighing seemingly nothing, the Patagonia Houdini impresses me each and every time I pull it out of my pack. Whenever rain picked up on our backpacking trip, I swapped the Houdini out for a rain shell. As we touched on above, the Houdini Air is a more premium in-house alternative to consider. Click For Details. That said, I havent had any issues with pinch points or tightness while mountain biking, but that largely comes down to the near-perfect fit (more on this in Fit and Sizing below). raincoat The pricing information on this page is updated hourly but we are not responsible for inaccuracies. hooded anorak pullover lightweight montbell windbreaker navy jacket medium It is one the easiest ways to get outdoors for people of all experience levels, and simply put, any time spent on the trail has a way of soothing the Squamish, B.C. Patagonia nailed the basics like simple but effective adjustments at the hem and hood and a single chest pocket for storing small items. For example, the jacket was a nice match for running on particularly cold days (with temperatures well below freezing), and the extra warmth it provided was appreciated. (mens medium)Materials: 100% ripstop nylonWhat we like: Great wind protection in an ultralight and affordable build.What we dont: There are more breathable and comfortable options out there.See the Men's Patagonia Houdini See the Women's Patagonia Houdini. The womens Houdini also retails for $99 and includes an identical feature set and construction to its mens counterpart, but its lighter at 3.4 ounces and comes in different colorways (both come in seven options at the time of publishing). The cost of the product is the same to you but this helps us continue to test and write about outdoor gear. Simply put, if weight and protection are your top priorities, the Houdini is hard to beat. The Cotopaxi is slightly heavier than the Houdini at 5 ounces and only available in a unisex version, which might make it harder to dial in fit for some, but the playful styling and low price tag are undeniably appealing for those looking for more of a daily piece. As I touched on above, I admittedly run warm, but Ive consistently overheated in the jacket whenever the conditions are mild. For another $60, you get a noticeable increase in comfort (thanks to the mechanical stretch in the build) and breathability. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we know a thing or two about rain. *Price Promotions - Due to manufacturer restrictions, select new release and other specified products are excluded from price promotions. Features are minimalist but thoughtful, including hem and hood adjustments and a single chest pocket for stowing smaller items. Predictably, packability is a similar story. Read more about us. In heavy wind, there isnt much extra fabric to buffet or flap around, which has been particularly nice while biking. Price: $99Weight: 3.6 oz. When cinched down, it fits snugly around the face. But if your priorities are weight, packability, and wind protection, you can save a lot with the Houdini. At 59 and 155 pounds, I opted for the medium size, and the cut has been ideal for wearing over a t-shirt or single long-sleeve baselayer. Thin, ultralight products rarely excel in durability, but the Houdini Jacket is a notable exception. And a final knock on the Houdini is that it doesnt do well with odor preventionyoull likely find yourself washing it more often than some of the pricier alternatives, including the Houdini Air. Further, the hood is on the small side, and it doesnt seem like it would fit over a helmet of any kind (a minimalist climbing helmet like the Petzl Sirocco may be one exception). Join DICKS Text Alerts to Receive Special Offers! Despite having fabric that's so thin it's see-through, the jacket is surprisingly durable. less than its listed weight). Swinging back toward the technical end of the spectrum, Rabs Vital Windshell Hoody is another high-quality and competitively priced design to have on your radar. If youre thinking about buying gear that weve reviewed on Switchback Travel, you can help support us in the process. One of the Houdinis closest competitors is Black Diamonds Distance Wind Shell. Join DICKS Text Alerts to Receive Special Offers! Climate Pledge Friendly uses sustainability certifications to highlight products that support our commitment to help preserve the natural world. Has a tendency to hold onto odor, which warrants fairly frequent washing. At only $80, Cotopaxis Teca Half-Zip is an even more affordable and stylish alternative to the Houdini. In practice, its been a perfect match on everything from cold and clear days with temperatures in the high 30s Fahrenheit to blustery rides along ridgelines with temps hovering in the mid 40s. Time is fleeting. The Houdini is a bit better of a wind blocker and a much better value at $99 (vs. $169 for the Air), but it otherwise comes up short. I do run warm and the Houdini isnt particularly breathable (more on this below), so I store it in my pack for the climb. Plus, it still easily outperforms full-on waterproof rain shellsI had the Outdoor Research Helium on our South America trip, and it was a far worse breather. However, as with the Patagonia, the Rabs all-nylon construction translates to poor breathability during active use, and its the heavier option at 5.6 ounces. Sporting the brands signature vibrant panels and a 100-percent-polyester build, the Teca is a clear step down in performance from the Houdini but has a lot of appeal for casual hikes and around-town wear. The Houdini is a very capable wind blocker in an ultralight and affordable package. Accelerate your Rewards and earn 2 points for every $1 on qualified purchases with a ScoreRewards credit card. We also love the large kangaroo pocket and internal phone pocket that doubles as a stuff sack. To see how it stacks up to the competition, see our article on the best windbreaker jackets. ), and include minimalist feature sets with a single chest pocket and simple adjustments at the hem and hood. Recycled nylon and Fair Trade Certification give the Houdini a competitive edge in the sustainability department. Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. Rather than the polyester mix and mechanical stretch of its premium Houdini Air cousin, the Houdinis standard nylon isnt particularly comfortable. If you are using a screen reader and are having problems using this website, please call, Patagonia Women's Snap Front Retro-X Fleece Jacket, Patagonia Women's Lightweight Better Sweater Shelled Fleece Jacket, Patagonia Women's Torrentshell 3L Rain Jacket, Patagonia Men's Torrentshell 3L Rain Jacket, Patagonia Men's R1 TechFace Hooded Jacket, Patagonia Women's Torrentshell 3L City Coat, Patagonia Men's Better Sweater Fleece Jacket, Patagonia Women's Retro Pile Fleece Hoodie, Patagonia Men's Better Sweater 1/4 Zip Pullover, Patagonia Men's Better Sweater Fleece Vest, Patagonia Men's Synchilla Snap-T Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Women's Los Gatos 1/4 Zip Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Girls' Lightweight Synchilla Snap-T Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Girls' Re-Tool Snap-T Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Women's Classic Retro-X Fleece Vest, Patagonia Women's Nano Puff Insulated Jacket, Patagonia Women's Nano Puff Insulated Vest, Patagonia Men's Classic Retro-X Fleece Vest, Patagonia Women's Classic Retro-X Fleece Jacket, Patagonia Men's Lightweight Synchilla Snap-T Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Women's Synchilla Snap-T Fleece Pullover, Patagonia Women's Pack-In Insulated Jacket. Ripstop nylon construction falls short in breathability. Women's Benton Springs Half Snap Pullover, Men's Drop Line 1/2 Zip Pullover Lightweight 100-Weight Sweater Fleece Jacket, Women's Long Sleeve Contrast Color Zipper Sherpa Pile Pullover Tops Fleece Sweatshirt, Women's Hiking Pants Quick Dry Lightweight Casual Pant for Summer, Women's Turtleneck Batwing Sleeve Loose Oversized Chunky Knitted Pullover Sweater Jumper Tops, Womens Winter Long Sleeve Button Sherpa Jacket Coat Pockets Warm Fleece, Mens PreCip Jacket | Lightweight, Waterproof, Women's Long Sleeve V Neck Button Quilted Patchwork Pullover Sweatshirt Tops, Men's Canyonlands Half Zip Pullover Sweatshirt, Women Fashion Quilted Pattern Lightweight Zipper Long Sleeve Plain Casual Ladies Sweatshirts Pullovers Shirts Tops, FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon, Women's UPF 50+ UV Sun Protection Safari Shirt, Long Sleeve Outdoor Cool Quick Dry Fishing Hiking Gardening Shirts, Hoodies for Women Winter Fleece Sweatshirt - Full Zip Up Thick Sherpa Lined, Long Sleeve Fishing T-Shirt for Men and Women, UPF 50 Dri-Fit Performance Clothing - Southern Fin Apparel, Womens Quilted Sweatshirts Casual Long Sleeve Outdoor Stand Collar Snap Pullover Tops, Men's TKA Glacier Quarter Zip Fleece Pullover, Women's TKA Glacier Fleece Quarter Zip (Standard and Plus Size), Women's Classic-Fit Long-Sleeve Full-Zip Polar Soft Fleece Jacket (Available in Plus Size), Women's Glacial Iv Half Zip Pullover Fleece, Men's TKA Glacier Snap-Neck Pullover Sweatshirt, Men's Textured Cap Rock Zip Pullover Sweatshirt, Men's Sun Protection Long Sleeve T-Shirt UPF 50+ Performance Running Shirts with hood, Women's Casual Long Sleeves Oversized Sweatshirt Lapel Zipper Drawstring Loose Pullover Tops with Pockets, in Men's Active & Performance Shell Jackets, Men's Collegiate Shep Shirt Half Zip Pullover, Men's Adult 1/4 Zip Sweatshirt, Style 1580. The two jackets both use full-nylon constructions, weigh within 0.2 ounces of each other (the BD clocks in at 3.5 oz. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2022, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. In our opinion, a good windbreaker is the most versatile outdoor jacket money can buy. The two jackets are fairly similar in weight and packability (the Houdini Air is 4.1 oz.) To be fair, windbreakers arent waterproof by nature, and the main goal is blocking wind. While hiking, I wore it on overcast and cool days, but if the sun came out or the trail was particularly steep, Id start sweating. If you want a windbreaker jacket for active use, we prefer the pricier Houdini Air. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. The jackets barely-there weight certainly helps in this department, but its fabric doesnt have any give, which can be a problem for activities like climbing that require a great deal of mobility. Finally, the slight drop hem at the back is a nice touch for a little extra coverage. Additionally, there are restrictions on the use of coupon codes. Their breathable and stretchy fabrics offer fantastic performance and a really comfortable fit that moves with you. Despite being made with 1.2-ounce nylon that is thin enough to be partially see-through, its ripstop design gives it a nice boost in tear resistance. And one positive of its compact shape is that it can be rolled easily into the collar for when you dont need the added protection. These small but mighty outerlayers pack a punch Of all the outdoor activities we cover here at Switchback Travel, hiking isdearest to our hearts. I often do this for biking, and the hood has stayed in place with no buffeting or blowing around. Neither excel in breathability, but both are sturdy in the wind. We use affiliate links andmay receive a small commission on purchases. Below we break down the Houdinis overall performance. Earn One Point for Every $1 and get a $10 Reward for Every 300 Points. If breathability is a priority, I recommend Patagonias Houdini Air, which we also had along on our trip and far exceeded the standard Houdini in temperature regulation. Just click on any of the seller links above, and if you make a purchase, we receive a small percentage of the transaction. As weve mentioned throughout this review, the Houdini collection also includes the premium Houdini Air, which is a bit heavier at 4.1 ounces and $70 pricier at $169. gerry roice marmot pulllover trekkinn crocodile Patagonia jackets often run a little big on me, but I love the slim fit of the Houdini. Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazons commitment to empowering them. She snorts when she laughs, is known to dye her hair with vibrant streaks of color, and simply does not sit down. We took the Squamish Hoody from its roots in the great north all Softshell jackets had their heyday almost a decade ago, but the push for lighter and more packable options rendered them nearly obsolete for true performance-oriented activities. To be clear, the Houdini still offers adequate breathability and can do the trick for certain high-output activities. Its worth noting that Patagonia does still use a fluorinated DWR coating, while many other brands have moved away from it. windbreaker anorak pullover patagonia hooded zip jacket We tested out the For high-output activities, its hard to beat a softshell jacket. but differ substantially in comfort. This would lead to a clammy and slippery feeling along the interior of the jacket. The verdict: despite newer and more breathable designs being available, the Houdini still offers a standout combination of weight, wind resistance, and price.
Paranorman Mitch Actor, What Color Collar Should I Get My Dog Quiz, Red Ruby Hybrid Watermelon, Craig Owens Photography, China Air Defence System List, Pilot Frixion Ball Knock Refill, Contemporary Art Museum Glasgow, Paradigm Agency Jobs Near France, Mclaren Flint Laboratory,