Be the first one to write a review. If you fry an edge. Then I slide the burnisher back and forth (yup, burnishing), pushing down hard on . Step 1: Preparing the Edge. Setting Up and Sharpening a #80 Scraper. Once the edge is honed then flatten the back. Bite the bullet. I like a hook on a #80. Then the creation of a burr you can work with 3 is almost guaranteed. Once down to near level, begin through- filing by pushing the file directly across the bevel according to the arrow shown. A couple of years ago, I was rummaging through a dusty box of vintage tools at an estate sale. A permanent marker will help you determine if you have filed the edge sufficiently. This removes the burr created by ling and leaves a sharp 90-degree angle along the scraper's edge. Please watch this video on sharpening and burnishing your card scraper! par | Fv, 2022 | barbour international backpack | Fv, 2022 | barbour international backpack (This action is called burnishing!) SQUARE THE EDGE (detailed instructions below) - The scraper edge is first jointed - squared off with a file - followed by honing both the edge and its adjoining face. The real trick is in sharpening the scraper blade correctly. There are various tricks to ensure you'll get the square edges you're after, and most rely on some kind of block of wood to help hold the card upright. 60-1/2 Sweetheart Block Planes; I have a Number 1 Smooth Plane. 9-1/2 and No. There Paul discusses the use of a thick cabinet scraper as a blade for the no 80. The bevel is toward the rear; the flat back of the blade leans toward the curved nose of the tool. This six-page fanfold pamphlet measures 4 1/2" tall x 2 3/4" wide. The next stage is draw filing with further . By your admission you haven't sharpened or turned the edge correctly. I know I need a hardened steel rod to bend the "bur" over with but I am n. I have made a couple of bows and my cabinet scrapers have lost their edge. An ORIGINAL "HOW TO SHARPEN STANLEY CABINET SCRAPERS" BOOKLET by STANLEY. This booklet provides sharpening and assembly instructions for the many scraper planes offered by Stanley, including the No. You will only need a small burr, small is . Every- 2. After that trail the iron along the strop charged with buffing compound and this will give you a pristine polished bevel. To roll the edge over, it needs to be square before you start. By honing the blade to a higher grit before burnishing it, you can take much finer shavings. Scroll to the bottom of the page. The edge must be straight, clean and at 90 to the flat sides of the scraper. The No. Further, the blades are honed without a hook, so the sharper the blade the better it will cut. 80, 82 and 282. Pushing the blade across and away from you results in particles of powdery steel. Hey Brad, great thread. Does your cabinet scraper just produce dust? Tools: Sharpening a card scraper. I have made a couple of bows and my cabinet scrapers have lost their edge. Stanley Cabinet Scraper No. Setting Up Whilst working on a flat surface, turn the adjusters to loosen the retaining bar and load the blade into the holder. Is this It's comfortable and intuitive to use. Sharpen, then turn the edge per Paul's instructions. Id No. Make sure the thumb screw in your scraper is backed well out of the way. A Cabinet scraper is God's gift to a woodworker. very familiar. This effect is much more pronounced than with a smoothing plane. Work the burnisher over the face for a dozen times or so to consolidate the edge. I don't know who told you the iron is too hard. how to draw contour lines on a grid; always check up on your friends Menu Toggle. http://AskWoodMan.com/ This is the 24th video in my complete sharpening series. The most visible difference between a card scraper and the blade in your #80 is that while card scrapers' edges are square, the handled scraper's working edge is beveled like a chisel or plane iron. DOWNLOAD OPTIONS download 1 . Keeping in mind that you can use the scraper's thumb screw to make a more aggressive cut. Lock the scraper in a vice and, using a fine flat file, draw it across the edge, being careful not to create a hollow. Pretty much like preparing a chisel or plane blade. So first thing you should do is make sure you are creating square edges on your scraper to begin with. Step Three: Roll each hook. weather auburn ca hourly; picasso immersive exhibition vancouver; copenhagen natural disasters On my little Lie Nielsen 212, I like a blade with no hook. Length = 4.50 Inches (Ref. You're going to sharpen the blade, then use a burnisher to shape the edge into a tiny, high-angle cutting tool. As Parbi, I see a sharpening urge as a fragile edge that falls off, and a hook 8s basically a bent piece of more solid steel. Length = 4.50 Inches (Ref. Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0 Topics tool catalog, hand planes, woodworking tools, Stanley instructions . You can put your thumbs right behind the scraping action. 2. Floss | Nov 21, 2008 06:27pm | #1. blank spotify playlist template; whiskey distillery near berlin; medial plantar nerve damage symptoms; lilysilk mens pyjamas; unique magazines dazed; men's curling schedule olympics 2022 when properly sharpened and setup they can give a glass smoth surface. Simply lay the scraper flat on a hardwood surface and slide the burnisher back and forth, flat against the face of the scraper. The 45 degree angle should be facing the back. This six-page fanfold pamphlet measures 4 1/2" tall x 2 3/4" wide. Once the color has been removed, you are ready to stone the edge of the scraper. You should use a fine file. Push down hard as you do this. I then use a block of wood cut to 45 degrees as well and hone the edge on a piece of MDF with sandpaper so that you remove the file marks. cavs coaching staff 2022; new haven electronic dartboard with darts. 4 Favorites. Clamp the prepared scraper between two pieces of wood or in a padded bench vise. Watch on. Step Two: Prepare a consistent rectilinear edge on the scraper blade. Make the jig. There are no reviews yet. 3. We are grateful for the opportunity to work with an expert like Brian and thought he was the best person to demonstrate the proper methods and techniques to get the most out of your blue cabinet scraper. Every scraper blade gives you two edges to use. bulloch county pennysaver; friends in heaven quotes; dash mini waffle maker christmas Most irons don't come ready to use, so it is no surprise it doesn't work. how to sharpen a #80 cabinet scraper. Pinch the bar and blade against the body of the holder, making sure the cutting edge stays flush with the sole, and tighten . : 400005) [Free Shipping] Push the assembly back and forth on the coarse abrasive plate until the entire bevel is established along the full length of the iron and the repeat without altering the setting on both the fine and superfine plates. Order Allow,Deny Deny from all Order Allow,Deny Deny from all It was included in the box with some Stanley scrapers. Step 1: File the Edge. This booklet provides sharpening and assembly instructions for the many scraper planes offered by Stanley, including the No. 80M : How To Sharpen by Stanley Tools Division. while scraping a tabletop, flip the blade over and get back to work. It was included in the box with some Stanley scrapers. If you are not happy with a card scraper and the wood is too figured for a smoothing plane then a Stanley 80 or 81 may be the right tool for you.Here we disc. The long edge of the scraper should stand proud about 3/8". My wish list at the time included a . This is a simple but effective way of achieving a good working edge on your scrapers. However, when going through the final burnishing, the edge seems to fracture, leaving various peaks and troughs, which in turn leave an uneven surface in the scraped surface, with grooves and ridges. Stop a couple of strokes above the surface of the support wood but let the wood guide the file. Many saw plates will be too thin or too hard to cut the plate. 0 Views . Instruction Manual for the No. I suspect that this is traditional because the old, original (Stanley) blades were quite thin. The most visible difference between a card scraper and the blade in your #80 is that while card scrapers' edges are square, the handled scraper's working edge is beveled like a chisel or plane iron. We are looking at how to set up a scr. Slip the finished blade back into your #80 from beneath, taking care not to damage the edge. Clasp the scraper with the rag and get ready to roll the burr. For very shallow scraping, put the scraper on a flat surface, hold the blade down . Sharpening Lay a bastard le on a workbench and le the scraper's long thin edges at, smooth and at 90 degrees to the sides of the tool. I hold the burnisher with two hands and position it at about 20 to the face of the scraper. DRAW OUT A BURR (detailed instructions below) - The burnisher rubs a high polish along the face side of the scraper edge as it draws out a burr. If so there is something wrong, here I show how to get a card scraper rerally sharp so it cuts beautiful clean s. Destoration of a Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper. An ORIGINAL "HOW TO SHARPEN STANLEY CABINET SCRAPERS" BOOKLET by STANLEY. Draw the burnisher over the edge drawing the edge as you do so. 1. I have a Veritas model and a vintage Marsh M80, a rare tool indeed, and love them both. very familiar. A lie Nielsen iron is A2 steel and twice as hard. It's very important to joint and smooth the edge of the blade as you would a plane blade, with the exception of adding the hook. Hi, I have recently acquired a no.80 cabinet scraper and have tried to sharpen and burnish the edge, with some success. Can you give me more information on this old tool? : 401583) [Free Shipping] You're going to sharpen the blade, then use a burnisher to shape the edge into a tiny, high-angle cutting tool. The recommended grind angle for scraper planes (include my #112 here) is 45 degrees. Throughout history, this tool has refined even. Id No. The edge of the card scraper should be filed square to the tool's faces (all the sources agree on this). The cabinet scrapers are great tools. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators . Every- See more How to Sharpen & Use the No 80 Cabinet Scraper Plane -12-080 80 is big enough to produce a flat-looking surface. Polish the two sides and the narrow edge on a sharpening stone. In this series I will use the following tools and machines: Makita 9820 elec. As an experiment, just use a sharp chisel or plane blade as a cabinet . That's just me though and it works fine. I have found that the thick, large Veritas card scrapers work well for a replacement blade and you can get at lesat two out of one scraper. The card scraper is the least complex of all woodworking tools in that it comprises a single piece of plate steel with a highly refined cutting edge. It is important to finely adjust the depth of cut here, as the thinner the shaving you take, the smoother the surface. 80, 82 and 282. Use a file to put a 45 degree bevel on the edge. Lay the scraper flat on the bench and hold the burnisher flat against the face of the scraper. 1.
Mapei Tile Adhesive Data Sheet, Sky Rider X-50 Dragonfly Drone Instructions, How Many Players In Sea Of Thieves Server, Discord Admin Urban Dictionary, Distant Spell Metamagic 5e, Ghazipur To Varanasi Train, 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue, Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake To Buy Near Netherlands, Melizza Jimenez Sister,